This course will help you get up and running quickly and equip you with the knowledge, hands-on experience and confidence needed to run your WordPress website or blog.
You will be able to:
- set up a shared web hosting account, download and install WordPress
- build, administer and update a website or blog using WordPress
- add and configure WordPress plug-ins and widgets.
This course has a maximum of 6 delegates, each with sole use of a networked PC, to ensure personal attention from me.
- What is WordPress?
- WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
- WordPress hosting and installation options
- Setting up web hosting
- Registering a domain name
- Downloading and installing WordPress on your web space
- How to install WordPress the easy way
- Logging in to WordPress
- General settings
- Discussion settings
- Permalink settings
- Privacy settings
- Reading settings
- Writing settings
- Making WordPress behave like a website or blog
- Drafts and publishing
- Adding and editing content in pages and posts
- Adding ‘media’: Images, PDFs, Microsoft Word documents, video and audio
- Adding links
Blogging with WordPress
- Writing a blog post
- Managing posts
- Understanding tags and categories
- Managing comments
- Fighting spam with Akismet
- The most useful plugins
- Working with sidebars and widgets
- The best themes: both free and premium
- Making WordPress search engine friendly
- Best practices for upgrading WordPress
- Managing WordPress users
- Permission levels and log-ins
- WordPress user roles explained
- Managing files
- The WordPress dashboard
- Measuring your site’s traffic with Google Analytics
- Importing and exporting data
In-house and one-to-one
This is an in-company and one-to-one course.
The course can be tailored to meet your needs, and can vary in duration and content depending on your requirements. It could be combined with elements of Writing and editing for the web, Introduction to Social Media and Search engine optimisation.
Contact me for a jargon-free chat about this course.